I trust everyone had a good winter in spite of the excess snow and extremely cold temperatures. I have received many questions the past month asking about how the courses are coming out of winter compared to last year. Below are two frequently asked questions and the responses; as well as updates on Winter Projects and Opening Day Preparation.
1. How did the courses respond to all the snow?
- The snow provided a nice blanket to the turf and protected it from extreme temperatures and wind. Although there are a few winter injury spots on a couple of greens, overall the greens came through the winter in good condition.
- The extended snow cover created some issues with snow mold in the rough, on some fairways and some tee surfaces. Greens had no snow mold on them due to the fact that we treated them 100% with plant protectants last fall.
- Snow mold (pictured below) attacks the leaf tissue and most all turf infected will grow out of it.
2. Last spring we had winter damage on the greens, how does this spring compare to last year?
- Overall the greens came through this winter much better than last year. There are a few areas on greens that have some winter injury. Once the soil temperatures start warming, the turf will grow through it.
- The turf damage on the greens last spring was caused by the lack of snow cover and ice on the greens. As mentioned before, the snow truly worked as a protective blanket.
Snow Mold on #18 Fairway...Grass will grow out of it with warmer weather.
Winter Work Update
- Overflows on South Course #10/18 and #17/11 ponds were replaced
- Boulders were placed along the pond edge in front of South Course #17 green
- Approximately 125 pieces of turf maintenance equipment were repaired, serviced or refurbished
- Sharpened over 160 mower cutting units (reels, bedknives and blades)
Opening Day Preparation:
Click on the link for a quick video on course preparation for opening day:
General Course Prep Work For Opening Day
- North Course greens have been mowed twice
- Prepped the North Course bunkers
- Course accessories and yardage markers set out
- Water features and pond aerator fountains started up
- Bluebird nesting boxes installed (we have 23 boxes throughout both courses)